In this session we are going to go through our lead leg and trail leg drills. We are then going to focus on start to first hurdle. You will notice in Hurdle practice that we repeat drills; this is so we continously work on improving our technique and rhythm.
2 slow laps at talking pace
- Over hurdle under hurdle mobility drill.
- Hurdle Mobility Drills over 6 hurdles:
- Forward 1 foot in-between each ( hips stay forward and done slowly) * 2
- Forward 2 foot in-between with rhythm 2 leading on left 2 leading on right (you need to be able to hurdle with either foot).
- Sideways down the middle, knee up, toe up at rhythm * 2 each side
- Sideways down the outside with a skip * 2 each side
LEAD LEG DRILLS : Practice to ensure the lead leg "leads with the knee" drill :
- Wall Drive : Hurdle on wall: Focus on lead arm & Lead leg with the knee drive. KNEE LEADS: switch lead leg and practice leading with both legs. KNEE KNEE KNEE (go to 2:28 on YouTube Video)
- Down the middle both leg lead legs (go to 4:08 on YouTube video)
- Hurdle on wall: Left and RIght trail leg. From start of YouTube video below to 0.54secs
- Walking trail leg drill - left and right leg . From 1 min to 2 mins on YouTube video below
- Skipping Trail leg Drills. From 2.05 on Youtube below to 2.50.
SPIKES ON: Acceleration at 60/70/80%.
Now we will practice start to first hurdle. We will go from 3 point and blocks (if in spikes). Remember stay tall and drive with the lead knee over the first hurdle. Coach will assist you in your set up so that you go over first hurdle with your preferred lead leg. If executing we will add a second hurdle.
Please watch the YouTube videos below and see you all on Tuesday.