Excellent speed session on a lovely warm night in Irishtown on Thursday.
We are going to continue practicing our speed maintenance/upright running phase of the race. We are looking for a nice cycle of the legs, upright/tall running position and a relaxed flow/float.
Please watch the wonderful Daphne Schipers on the youtube clip below and watch how she comes off the bend in a 200mtr race. Please visualise yourself doing this as this is what we will practice on Saturday.
Please once again read the phases of the 100mtr race and start looking to execute same - this is what sprinters mean when they talk about executing their race - they are going through the phases and executing each phase.
The phases of a 100mtr race are:
- Starting block (setup) & Block Clearance (0-5mtrs)- We have been working on this through 3 point starts
- Drive Phase Acceleration (5-15mtrs) : Think of the Wall drills
- Transition to upright running (15-30mtrs):we have been practicing through sprints to 20/30/40/50mtrs
- Maximum velocity (30-60mtrs the part of the race where we are at our quickest)
- Speed Maintenance (60-100mtrs) : This is the part of the race where we have to flow/stay tall and maintain a cycling action
2 laps in lane 1 & 2 maintaining social distance (ITS 2 METRES!!!) in front and behind
Walk 20 mtrs on toes Hamstring sweeps 20 mtrs Hip flexor stretch 30 secs each side
Full plank: Right foot to right hand / left foot to left hand by 8 each side
On all fours - Donkey kick (knee up to chest and back overhead) 8 each side
On all fours - Hurdle trail leg drill - by 8 each side
Standing straight leg deadlift (slow and 8 each leg) Cariocia side step 20 mtrs each way
20mtrs back wards running
Sprint form drills:
Skipping a 20 metres X 2 Ankling 20 m X 2
Cycling 20 m X 2 Knee up toe up 20mtrs
Quick Leg 20m Alternating quick leg 20m
straight leg / alternative cycle drill (Jamacian drill) 3 each leg X 2
Acceleration to 60 mtrs @ 65% , 75% , 85%, 95%
Middle Distance Group: Please watch Emma Coburn youtube video below. Look at how tall and relaxed she runs with a lovely cycling action, efficient arms and and contacting the track right under her hip.
- 2 x Broken 800 – 4 200’s at 800mtr race pace with 30 second rest between each. Eight minute break between sets
- Then 3 x 300 meters with 2 mins between each – First set is slower than 800 race pace. Second set at 800 race pace. Third set faster than 800 race pace.
In and outs: 30mtrs gradually accelerate , 50mtrs @ 90%, 30 mtrs slow, 40 mtrs @ 90% Rest 3 mins 30 by 3 REST 8 mins Repeat
Cool down and Core