- Starting block (setup) & Block Clearance (0-5mtrs)- We have been working on this through 3 point starts
- Drive Phase Acceleration (5-15mtrs) : Think of the Wall drills
- Transition to upright running (15-30mtrs):we have been practicing through sprints to 20/30/40/50mtrs
- Maximum velocity (30-60mtrs the part of the race where we are at our quickest)
- Speed Maintenance (60-100mtrs) : This is the part of the race where we have to flow/stay tall and maintain a cycling action
WE WILL USE BLOCKS - ONLY ATHLETES WHO HAVE ANTISEPTIC SPRAY/WIPES and HAND SANITISER will be allowed use blocks.
2 laps maintaining social distance (ITS 2 METRES!!!)
Walk 20 mtrs on toes Hamstring sweeps 20 mtrs Hip flexor stretch 30 secs each side
Full plank: Right foot to right hand / left foot to left hand by 8 each side
On all fours - Donkey kick (knee up to chest and back overhead) 8 each side
On all fours - Hurdle trail leg drill - by 8 each side (IF HURDLES AVAILABLE WE WILL DO HURDLE STEP OVER DRILLS)
Standing straight leg deadlift (slow and 8 each leg) Cariocia side step 20 mtrs each way
20mtrs back wards running
Sprint form drills:
Skipping a 20 metres X 2 Ankling 20 m X 2
Cycling 20 m X 2 Knee up to up 20mtrs
Quick Leg 20m Alternating quick leg 20m
straight leg bound 3 each leg X 4 (with 45 secs rest between each set)
Accelerations to 60mtr:
1 @ 60% @ 70% @ 80% - PUT ON SPIKES - @ 90% (GOOD FORM)
1 @ 100% to 30mtrs
Three Point Start Practice and First three steps: Watch Michael Johnson Coaching the Drive Phase on youtube below
1) Acceleration Wall Drill
2) Athlete gets in crouch start position. On set they raise into three point start (leg that is back same side hand is on the track - opposite arm is raised and ready to drive through on whistle) - focus on first three steps - Remember the wall drill and if not executing the first three steps practice it. GO -
2 to 10mtrs : 4 minute break (we need to be quick/explosive/aggressive not tired)
2 to 20 mtrs: 4 minute break
SET UP BLOCKS
2 to 10 mtrs
2 to 20 mtrs long recovery in between.
2 to 30 mtrs
1 to 40 mtrs
If not using blocks we will go from 3 point, on belly, facing opposite way etc.
CUES FOR BLOCK CLEARANCE: Big arms, drive, push hard, big knee drive = Remember we will have longer track contact times at the start of the race .
MIDDLE DISTANCE ATHLETES:
800mtr at 1 mile pace. rest 75 secs repeat. Rest 5 minutes by 4
Rest 8 mins then 200 on 40 secs by 3 with walk back recovery.
ALL ATHLETES COOL DOWN LAP AND CORE.